Two mobile power generators that will help meet the Turkish Republic of Northern of Cyprus’s (TRNC) energy needs is setting out from Türkiye on Friday.
The generators are expected to arrive on the island next week, Finance Minister Sunat Atun told BRT on Thursday.
Speaking from Ankara on Thursday, the Minister of Finance Sunat Atun said that the goal was to complete the installation of the two generators as soon as possible and to have them in service by July when electricity demand peaks.
“We discussed with (Turkish) Minister Fatih Dönmez what needs to be done to permanently solve the TRNC’s electricity needs. We set a vision. We need to carry out the necessary investments, increase our electricity producing capacity to meet needs and ensure the purchase of fuel uninterruptedly,” he said.
Atun reminded that an agreement had been signed with the Turkish Energy Ministry in December for acquiring the two generators.
He said that the process to load the two 50MW generators onto a ship had begun and that the generators were expected to arrive by June 25.
The finance minister added that an agreement had also be signed with Turkish Petroleum on acquiring fuel and that the purchase from now on would be from one state to another.
“Through this agreement we will ensure a guarantee of supply and create the means to achieve to keep costs and thus electricity prices stable,” he said.