The 14th Esentepe Apricot Festival organized by the Esentepe Municipality kicked-off on Tuesday evening with a cortege.
The festival was inaugurated by President Ersin Tatar and will continue for the next five days.
Speaking at the opening ceremony, President Tatar said that they were working hard to make the Turkish Cypriot peoples’ voice heard all over the world.
Tatar added that the Esentepe region will become the country’s showcase with its infrastructure, local and foreign investments and its diverse population.
Also speaking, Esentepe Mayor Cemal Erdoğan reminded that the first Apricot Festival had been organised 14 years ago by the late Esentepe Mayor Erdal Barut and his team.
Erdoğan thanked all institutions and organizations who contributed to launching the festival following a two-year break due to the pandemic.
Democrat Party MP Serhat Akpınar who also attended the opening thanked those who contributed to organising the event.
He added that they were ready to do whatever was necessary to support local producers and promote the country’s cultural, touristic and natural riches.
Health Minister İzlem Gürçağ Altuğra also said a few words at the festival.
Altuğra emphasized that regional events had a great impact on uniting residents in the region and passing on traditions and culture to future generations.
Also speaking at the the event, Parliamentary Speaker Zorlu Töre said that the government should increase its support to local producers, farmers and investors.