Pertev Paşa’s tomb now opens to visitors
Date Added: 29 April 2022

The recently restored monumental tomb of Pertev Paşa located in the fenced-off town of Maraş was inaugurated on Thursday with a ceremony attended by President Ersin Tatar.

Pertev Paşa was an important figure in the Ottoman navy who played a crucial role in the conquest of Cyprus. He later set up a charity foundation to help those in Maraş.

The ceremony was also attended by the Turkish Ambassador to Lefkoşa Ali Murat Başçeri, Foreign Minister Tahsin Ertuğruloğlu, the Commander of the Turkish Peace Forces in Cyprus Major General Sezai Öztürk, the Commander of the Cyprus Turkish Security Forces Major General Zorlu Topaloğlu, the General Director of the Cyprus Vakıflar Administration İbrahim Benter and the Mayor of Gazimağusa İsmail Arter.

Speaking during the ceremony, Tatar said that Pertev Paşa was among those commanding the navy in the conquest of Cyprus in 1571.

He said that his tomb had been restored and reopened for visits.

The president also reminded that Maraş was located within the sovereign territory of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) and that the Turkish Cypriot side would never accept giving the fenced-off town away as part of the confidence-building measures or in a process of give-and-take.

“It has become clear that a federal settlement will not meet the expectations of the Turkish Cypriot people,” he said.